In fifth grade this year the students will be taught the new Michigan Science Standards. Please see our list of fifth grade Power Standards to gain a better understanding of what your child will be learning about in Science this year.
- I can conduct an investigation that measures and describes the structure and properties of matter.
- Chemical Changes Article: http://www.hoodriver.k12.or.us/cms/lib06/OR01000849/Centricity/Domain/420/Ch2S1%20Chem%20rx.pdf
- Chemical vs. Physical Changes: http://www.ducksters.com/science/chemistry/chemical_mixtures.php
- I can develop a model to describe the sun’s energy in animals’ food and the movement of matter among plants, animals, decomposers, and the environment.
- Interactive Food Web Generator: http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/explorer/ecosystems/be_an_explorer/map/foodweb_play.htm
- I can describe how the geosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, and/or atmosphere interact.
- I can describe and graph the amounts and percentages of water and fresh water distribution on Earth.
- I can use the engineering design process to generate, create, and compare solutions to a problem.